Thursday, February 24, 2011

Winter Gardening...

Actually this post should be more aptly named "Not Tending To My Garden for a Very Long Time and Being Wonderously Surprised When Not Everything Died and Some Stuff is Popping Up".


My poor plum tree that almost died on me has sprung forth into bloom. This I did tend to. I got rid of most of the deadwood, though I still have some sawing to do as soon as I actually get my hand saw down from the garage walls. Still, I'm glad it survived. It is a pity that so much of it died though as it had the PERFECT shape. *sighs*


My pretty "crepe paper" rose.


No idea what this is. It's on some sort of vine that serves as ground cover. If you know what it is feel free to comment. *Edit:* Figured it out. This is called "Vinca Minor". It is a member of the periwinkle family.


A bit of growth on one of my roses. I love the purplish red color.


Alright, this is my second go at Nasturtiums. I have actually dug holes this time to collect the water I pour on them. The last time the water would run into the sidewalk because the dirt gets so hard. So, they had sprouted when it rained and rained and rained, but then I couldn't keep them watered. Also, I planted them in February this time, like the package said. Last time I planted them in August and they didn't sprout until November. Hopefully, these'll germinate and sprout in the 8-12 days the seed pack says it'll take.


Some more roses. These are the hardiest bushes I have ever encountered in my life. Thank you mom for planting bushes that can withstand my neglect.


Another hardy plant, the freesia. The blooms look like wheat because they haven't fully opened yet. I believe this is a yellow flowering one, but it could be pink. I'll update as soon as the flowers open.


Some more freesias. They had a couple of beautiful open yellow flowers, that my dog knocked off today.


Above on the right are some freesias that had to be transplanted due to yard work. They look like they're dying, but they should at least pop up again next year. Hopefully, they'll rejuvenate now and send out some blooms. The rose there is on the grave of my hummingbird, Jewel. I learned later that Jewel was a he and that he was an Anna's Hummingbird. I caught him by placing some glue on his favorite branch of the blood plum tree you see at the top of the page. I kept him for a few days and then decided to release him. Sadly the day I was going to let him go he died by drowning in the food solution I gave him. I didn't have a fancy feeder, so I put the solution in a shallow plate. Jewel fell in and because it was so sticky, he wasn't able to stand up. I cried so much when I found him that night. My dad and I made him a little coffin and buried him under the blood plum where he liked to sit. Sad note to end a post on. Sorry 'bout that. His family still hangs around my house though and lives in the honeysuckle bushes and peach trees. They're pretty prolific in fact, so we have about a million hummingbirds around us at all times. I'll try to get some pics and post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment