Saturday, September 18, 2010

Garden Starters

Well, I started out with a mess of a garden. It hasn't changed much, but now I have the time to work at it a bit better. Here's what's happened in the past month.


My poor plum tree. It had the perfect shape, then all of a sudden one side of it died. I was so upset. So I had to trim a lot of it off. I still have some sawing to do to get rid of the larger dead branches. Then years of waiting and shaping to get it back to where it belongs.


This is my dwarf peach tree that no longer looks dwarfish. It has produced one ripe fruit to date. The rest of the fruit falls off of the tree unripe. I figured out it was because I let too many fruits grow on it and I didn't give it any nutrients. Also, it used to look like a peach bush. I fixed that. :D


The cleaned out rose bed. It used to have day lilies (like the one's seen in the peach tree picture) all over the place. I pulled them out or cut them out depending on how soft the dirt was. You can still see some of the bases sticking out of the ground in this pic. It'll take some more work to get the bed cleaned out completely.


And here is the baddie. This is a pepper tree hiding behind my rose bush. You think "That thing is huge! How could you miss it?!" I missed it because of all of the brush and undergrowth that was there. When the tree started growing large enough to touch the roof of the house is when it actually became noticeable. I cut off all of the branches that I could and some day soon we are going to hoist this baby out of the ground. The rose bush is going to take some trauma though.


The newest addition to home: Avocados. My father loves avocados, so he did what everyone's grandma has done: He stuck toothpicks in the seed and suspended it into a cup of water. I had about given up hope and was ready to throw the thing away when father takes a look inside the half-way split seed and says "Hey! There's something green inside the seed!" So it stayed by our kitchen window and in a few more weeks it had really begun to sprout. Then there was no stopping it. A week later and it was in desperate need of a transplant. The neat part is that there was no root shock at all. The little fella just keeps growing and looking better.


Ah yes. My first attempt at home produce. It actually did work. I just didn't eat it all in time before it went to seed. So, I've left everything there for the moment. We have/had carrots, radishes, broccoli, and green onions. All of it was the most flavorful veggies I've ever eaten, but I shouldn't have planted the whole packet of seeds (I totally ignored the spacing requirements. Who needs those?) because I got way too much to eat in a timely manner.


As I was trying to clean up my veggie bed this morning I found this VILLAIN! He is a subterranean termite and he and all of his buddies have eaten out the insides of my carrots. Thankfully I had plenty to eat and I think they only got to them after the plants had gone to seed. But this means I need to take care of the colony before I can plant any more in that area. Such a bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment